Number 950 • Friday, January 11, 2013

Master Voters List Published for Nevis
203 illegally removed names back on
By Monique Washington
 
Nevis voters
 
Share |
|
 

The Master Voters List was published on Monday January 7, two weeks ahead of the January 22 Nevis local election.

One of the most notable aspects of the list is that the 203 names which the Appeal Court ordered be placed back on the list had in fact been reinstated. Also of note were the more than 60 names if individuals who were objected to, whom up to this point have had no objection hearings.

Speaking with The Observer on Wednesday (Jan 9), CCM representative for St. James Hon. Alexis Jeffers revealed that while waiting for an objection hearing to begin on Monday, the Master Voters List was published, with the names of people he objected to forming part of the list.

“My understanding is once someone is objected to, a hearing must be held for a decision to be made whether that person can proceed to form any list that’s published,” Jeffers said.

Jeffers has claimed that the Nevis Reformation Party had intensified their efforts of “padding the voters list” in his constituency of St James.

“In September alone there were 30 new registrations in St. James, double the highest month we had so far since last year May. For over a year we haven’t seen this kind of registration,” he said.

He added that in October (2012) there were another 30 new names registered in St. James.

Jeffers noted however that the Registration Officer for Constituencies 10 and 11 Carlisle Hobson has since dealt with his objections on the monthly list with the exception of five in September and 62 names which he objected to from the 2012 Master Voters List. Those objections, he said, were filed in February 2012.

Jeffers said that he was in the process of writing to the Supervisor of Election Raphael Archibald, however he did not say what the text of the letter would say.

Also appearing on the list are the names of persons whom the CCM have filed criminal complaints against. They are: Peter Joseph James and Ohmel Eugenie James (husband and wife) both of Colquhoun’s Estate; Anslem Colin Caines of Jessups Village; Barbara Leona Duporte Hardtman of Hanley’s Road, Gingerland.

Speaking with Oscar Brown on Thursday he informed that after a hearing was held the Registration Officer determined that the names should remain on the list. He said they have since appealed the Registration Officer’s decision. The hearing is set for January 21.

Loading...