Port Zante Cruise Pier construction moving ahead.

BASSETERRE, St. Kitts — Approximately 50 St. Kitts and Nevis nationals are now constructing the second cruise pier at Port Zante with the potential for another 50 workers to be added as work progresses.

“The engagement of local workers is in keeping with government efforts to make sure local technicians are involved in the developmental process,” Prime Minister Dr. the Honourable Timothy Harris said during his 2019 Budget Address on Dec. 12.

Local businesses are also reaping the benefits of the project, Minister of Public Infrastructure, the Honourable Ian Patches Liburd, said in his comments during the Appropriation (2019) Bill, 2018, debate,

“So far, Mr. Speaker, 1,650 cubic yards of concrete were purchased from the St. Kitts Masonry Products,” Liburd said. “By the end of, the construction it is anticipated 9,000 cubic yards of concrete will be procured from the St. Kitts masonry products.”

Two major companies in St. Kitts and Nevis, TDC Group of Companies and S.L. Horsford’s, are also benefiting immensely from the project.

“I am happy for TDC in particular because TDC put their money where their mouth is,” Liburd said. “They invested $2.5 million in this project toward the construction of the new pier. We must applaud TDC.”

The project is expected to use 1,000 tons of steel, 55 percent of which will come from TDC.

The building of the new pier started in May, 2018, with the breaking of the seabed rock at Port Zante. The project is scheduled to take 18 months to complete.