Carbohydrates are the most important source of energy. It is mainly provided through the plant foods. Here is a list of high carbohydrate foods which you can include in your diet to get numerous health benefits.
Carbohydrates are needed as a primary source of energy. There are three major types of carbohydrates such as simple carbohydrates, complex carbohydrates or starch and dietary fibers. Simple carbohydrates are found in milk, fruits and sugar, while complex carbohydrates or starches are found in grains or cereals such as rice, barley, oat, buckwheat, millet and rye, and in some root vegetables including parsnips and potatoes. A high intake of complex carbohydrates offers several health benefits. It is advised that a healthy diet should contain plenty of starchy foods. The unrefined carbohydrates such as brown rice or whole-grain bread are beneficial for health, as they are rich sources of vitamin B and essential dietary fibers.
Benefits of High Carbohydrate Foods
High carbohydrate foods are known to offer a number of health benefits. The resistant starches that are naturally found in foods such as green bananas, navy beans and whole-grain bread are beneficial for colon health. They also contribute in lowering the blood cholesterol levels and excess body weight. High carbohydrate foods act as the body’s fuel and improve muscle contractions and several physiological functions. They make you to feel energetic, enthusiastic and full of vigor. An inadequate carbohydrate intake can give rise to impaired central nervous system function. The complex carbohydrates are high-fiber foods, which help improve digestion, stabilize blood sugar and maintain the energy levels.
List of High Carbohydrate Foods
* A list of high carbohydrate foods includes mainly cereals, grains and bread such as bagel, white bread, whole wheat bread, white, rice, barley, oatmeal, spaghetti, pasta, muffins, etc. Some of the fruits such as apricot, dates, blueberry, banana, fig, grapes, apple, orange, pear, pineapple, strawberry, watermelon and raisins also contain high amounts of carbohydrates.
* A list of high carbohydrate foods includes some beans, which contain a higher percentage of complex carbohydrates and more nutrients. The beans such as chickpeas, white beans, black eye peas, refried beans, garbanzo beans and navy beans are rich in complex carbohydrates. Some of the root vegetables such as potato, sweet potato, carrot and corn contain a high quantity of carbohydrates.
* Dairy products are known for rich fat and protein contents. However, some of the dairy products such as nonfat milk, low fat, plain yogurt, chocolate milk and skimmed milk are included in the list of high carbohydrate foods. All types of chocolates, candies, cookies, pastries also contain high amounts of carbohydrates.
* Foods containing simple carbohydrates include table sugar, candy, cake, corn syrup, fruit juice, bread and pasta made from white flour and most packaged cereals.
* Foods containing the high amounts of complex carbohydrates are bran, oatmeal, maize, barley, buckwheat, cornmeal, pasta, macaroni, spaghetti, potato, brown rice, shredded wheat, bagel, wholegrain cereals, corn, peas, muesli, yam, beans and lentils.
High carbohydrate foods provide adequate nutrition with vitamins, minerals and fibers that are essential for physical fitness and overall health.