Constipation is one of the most common gastro-intestinal ailments all over the world; though consulting a doctor for it is very uncommon unless severe. The fact that chemical laxatives do cause dependency and reflex constipation in the long run, natural laxatives are the best and reliable option for relieving constipation and ensures colon health.
Most alternative forms of medicine emphasize proper functioning of intestine as a foundation for good health. A clogged intestine is home to various toxins that cause nutritional deficiency and many other diseases.
Natural laxatives help stimulate peristaltic effect on large intestine to get rid of the digested residue. Regular cleansing not only helps improve digestion and absorption of nutrients but also raises your energy levels.
Benefits of natural laxatives over others
* In addition to relieving constipation, it helps strengthen the colon
* Do not cause physical dependency
* Safe to use over a period of time
* No side effects like stomach cramps or diarrhea
* Do not cause weight gain even if used for a longer time
* Dosage doesn’t increase gradually like medicinal purgatives
* Dependable way to colon cleansing
* Natural remedies cause no irritation to the intestine, whereas chemical laxatives may lead to “cathartic colon.”
Natural laxatives as constipation remedies
Evaluation of causes of reduced bowel movements can help us choose the ideal laxative. Roughage diet, exercise, drinking lots of water can help cure constipation on a large scale. Lets have a look at the various options available.
Lifestyle changes as natural laxatives
* Do not eat unless hungry
* Drink lots of water, warm water is more helpful
* Exercise helps proper supply of nutrition and blood circulation to the bowels
* Sleeping during the day or immediately after food consumption should be avoided
* Do not ignore the normal urge of the body to defecate. Suppression of eliminative urge can lead to chronic constipation
* Relaxing the body by ways of meditation, music or humor can help eliminate undue stress and in turn serves proper digestion
* Use of warm water and salt enema as natural homemade laxative
Essential foods that act as natural laxatives
* High Fiber Diet – Roughage diet constituting green salads, veggies and fruits.
* Whole grain bread and unpolished rice.
* Cooking foods with spices like ginger, black pepper, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne pepper, fennel, asafetida aid digestion.
* A glass of warm milk before bed acts as a mild laxative. Adding castor oil or ghee to it gives a better effect.
The juices are effective as natural colon cleansers and should be used either before bedtime and/or early morning.
* Combination of fresh pear and apple juice
* Combination of orange juice and olive oil
* Prune juice
* Apple cider vinegar juice
* Carrot juice
* Spinach juice
* Grapefruit juice
* Asparagus juice
* Lemon juice and hot water
Foods to avoid or eat in moderation
Herbs as natural laxatives
Triphala, an Ayurvedic herb is the most common herb used for intestinal cleansing. It consists of three herbs as Amalaki, Haritaki and Bhibitaka.
Alfalfa, Aloe gel, Buckthorn Bark, Cassia pulp, Cascara Sagrada, Castor Oil, Dandelion leaves, Guar Gum, Psyllium husks and seeds, Senna Pods, Turkey Rhubarb, are examples of herbs that speeds the elimination of wastes and toxins.
Short-term use of chemical laxatives is advocated when the symptoms are intense. Use of natural laxatives earlier can help in the prevention and cure of gastro-intestinal symptoms. Stop enduring the discomfort quietly when natural laxatives can help you answer nature’s call!!