By LR Liburd
The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer
Thieves are on a rampage in St. Kitts as just in a matter of four days they have burglarised one home and two business enterprises.
The first victim was former Minister of National Security Dwyer Astaphan, who reported that his home was burglarised either early Saturday morning (Apr. 16) or the night before while he and his son were out of the house.
He said that on their return home sometime after %:00 a.m., they had found part of the house in a dishevelled manner, and on close examination discovered that a 50-inch flat screen TV, a 32-inch TV, just under US$1,000, a Japanese Samurai Sword and a quantity of personal items were stolen.
Astaphan said he is offering an EC$5,000 reward to anyone who could provide information leading to the arrest of the perpetrator(s) and the return of his stolen items.
The former minister said he could be contacted at 662-4921 and that persons do not have to be afraid of their identities being disclosed.
He however disclosed that he has video footage from the security system erected at his residence and the police would be examining same in an effort to identify the perpetrator or perpetrators.
He is advising citizens and resident of both islands to not purchase any of the stolen items if they are approached, but “to do the right thing”.
The second victim was Harrington Bristol Sr. whose business establishment at Kittstodart, Admiral Enterprises, was broken into and vandalised on Monday (Apr. 18).
Bristol said the establishment was secured at approximately 9:55 on the previous night but on arrival at about seven o’clock the next morning, he had observed a door to the side of the building was open.
On entering the building, the Managing Director also found the door to his office was open and the cabinets ransacked as well as furniture and other items within in a state of disarray. He then made a thorough check of other areas and discovered about 20 items were stolen, including tools and security equipment.
Bristol estimated his loss at over $20,000 and informed that thieves had targeted his company on three occasions since moving to that location some four years ago.
And on the following night (Apr. 19), bandits had broken into 10 container stalls of The Food Court in Bird Rock, which was recently established by Ram’s Group of Companies.
No word has so far been forthcoming on what were stolen but The Observer was told that police are investigating.