By Stanford Conway

The Observer

A Dominican Republic national and employee of Construction Technologies (CONTEC) died last Monday following an industrial accident at that organisation’s quarry in Canada Estate.

According to police reports, 39-year-old Carlos Vanterpool died on the spot around 3 p.m. last Monday after being struck on the head by the rear end of a boom, which snapped from a crane while unloading a container.

Police said that they were awaiting results of an autopsy but investigations into his death were ongoing.

Managing Director of CONTEC Lincoln Pemberton said that Vanterpool, who resided at Durant Avenue, Basseterre, had been working with the company for the past nine months.

When contacted, Pemberton told The Observer that he was not in a position to provide accurate information on the circumstances surrounding the tragic accident but noted, apart from the police, internal investigations were in process.

He however confirmed that Vanderpool’s death did occur during the moving of a container at the company’s site in Canada Estate.