By Monique Washington

A male body discovered in Basseterre will remain unknown until sometime today (August 5) when an autopsy has been completed, but the question remains, who is it?

Less than two weeks ago, Markie Liburd of Newtown was reported missing by his family. On March 12,Devon ‘Gunny’ Jarvis of St. Kitts was also reported missing by his family after he never returned to St. Kitts from Nevis.

Their whereabouts are still unknown.

Just hours before police officials confirmed finding a body, word spreadsthrough the twin island federation that a body of a male was found in Basseterre. On Thursday(July 28),the Observer contacted the Police Public Relations Officer  Grell Brown in the evening via Whatsapp and asked if anybody was found in St. Kitts. His response was “no”. Just a few hours later the police released a statement after the alleged hoax that a “body was discovered.”

“Police are investigating the discovery of a body in the Fahie’s Mountain area of Newton Ground,” a statement said.“Initial investigations revealed that remains are those of a male.Positive identification of the remains have not yet been made. Cause of death will be determined after an examination by the Forensic Pathologist. The investigation is ongoing.”

Attempts were made by the Observer to the ACP Hilroy Brandy to ascertain whether the “hoax” and the discovery of the body are linked, but at the time of the call he was not in the office.

A growing trend of young men who have reportedly gone missing has begun to plague the islands.  Many of the missing reports conclude with the person’s body being found riddled with bullets or the person not being found at all.

The body of 17-year-old Tyrique Duncan was found in Hermitage Estate in St. Kitts after being reported missing for a couple of days. The body was riddled with bullets. It was discovered only a matter of weeks after the body of Devon Pervcival-Payne, who was also reported missing, was discovered in the Ogees area in St.Kitts with apparent gunshot wounds.

To date there have been no charges in either Payne’s or Duncan’s case. Both Jarvis and Liburd’s whereabouts is still a mystery.