Basseterre, St. Kitts, August 04, 2016 (SKNIS): The formal meetings of the Cabinet took place on Monday, June 27 and Wednesday, July 13, 2016. The meetings were chaired by the Prime Minister, Dr. the Honourable Timothy Harris.
- Cabinet approved for the removal of stamp duty from property valued at $150,000 and under, and six (6) percent stamp duty for property valued over $150,000 in light of new houses to be allocated by the National Housing Corporation (NHC).
- Cabinet is taking a step forward with the committee named and terms of reference defined and agreed upon with respect to the Universal Health Care Coverage and the National Health Insurance Scheme.
- Concessions were granted to certain businesses within the Federation.
- Cabinet discussed the New Public Sector Procurement Regulations which are to be implemented. The Regulations will bring about better controls in terms of eliminating wastage in public sector spending and setting new thresholds for the value of Government contracts.
- Cabinet accepted the proposed new interest rates from the Ministry of Finance in order to keep treasury debt instruments more in line with the realities of commercial banking.
- Cabinet considered suggestions from the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (CIC) on the Economic Growth Forum which seeks to develop more public private partnerships as the way forward for growth and development within the Federation.
- Cabinet reviewed the four themes selected from the list of 29 themes submitted to the Cabinet Secretariat for the 33rdanniversary of Independence in St. Kitts and Nevis. All themes were received by the deadline late on Wednesday, July 27, 2016. The chosen theme will be announced to the public shortly. The Organizing Committee of the 33rd Anniversary of Independence is progressing smoothly and the calendar of events will soon be finalized and published.