- Advertisement -

By Floyd French

Observer Reporter

(Basseterre, St. Kitts) – Three men have been questioned by police and one released in connection with the murder of a 21-year-old St. Kitts man who was shot down alongside a road. No one has been charged with the crime and the investigation continues.

According to the Royal St. Kitts-Nevis Police, Mr. Derrick Gumbs Jr, in photo above, was shot about 10:50 p.m. on Tuesday, March 11. Officers responded to a report of gunshots at Neverson Street, Newtown. They arrived on the scene and found the body of Mr. Gumbs, who had sustained gunshot wounds.

The investigation into the first murder recorded in St. Kitts for 2008 is ongoing and police urge anyone with information to contact the Criminal Investigation Department at 465 2241 ext 220 or 236. This appeal was made with the promise of strictest confidence of information given. This the second murder of the year in the Federation.

Police have revealed some details surrounding Mr. Gumbs’ murder. According to the press release, Mr. Gumbs and another person were sitting on a bench under a tree on the side of the road when the gun-wielding assailant attacked them. Mr. Gumbs was shot in the back while trying to flee. A parked car in the area was also damaged by gunshots.

The police also disputed claims that Mr. Gumbs might have been inadvertently shot by members of the security force who responded to the initial gun shot report in the area.

Public Relations Officer for the Royal St. Kitts-Nevis Police Force, Inspector Cromwell Henry, said that a police officer who lived near the crime scene responded immediately to the gunshots that killed Mr. Gumbs and discharged his weapon in an attempt to stop those fleeing the crime scene. Inspector

The first murder in the Federation in 2008 took place Jan. 28 on Nevis, when Mr. Leon “Gravo” Westerman, 28, was gunned down outside Angela’s Bar on Main Street, Charlestown. He was taken to the Alexandra Hospital, where he died.

- Advertisement -